Saturday 4 July 2015

The 'Whose Line is it Anyway' top

 Hello all! This is the top I made to go and see Whose Line is it Anyway live (which was by the way, fantastic.) This project definitely had its ups and downs during making but turned out pretty well in the end.
I bought the fabric during my flying visit to Singapore last year. I didn't buy very much, maybe 1-1.5 metres. I originally planned to make a dress with it, but the scalloped edge was only on 1 side of the fabric and there just wasn't enough. However, there was enough for a top.
 I used the same pattern that I drafted for my V&A dress, and my dotty button up dress as a base. I lined up the scallops with the top of the side seam, planning to add straps later.
I pleated the excess in the bodice to fit the midriff panel instead of gathering, 3 pleats on each side facing towards the CF. The pleats in the peplum mirror the top. There is a lapped zip in the side seam/
 I did make straps, but I quite liked how it looked without them, although I didn't quite trust it to stay up on its own. I used clear elastic for straps, which are nice and inconspicuous, whilst making everything secure.
It was actually quite a quick top to make, seeing as the top and bottom edges were already finished!
All in all, it's a lovely top which will hopefully get lots of wear over the summer. Especially as the weathers been so nice recently! 
Thanks very much for reading and to Dad for snapping pics all over London. Also, thanks Dad for not saying I told you so when we stopped off at boots to buy blister plasters. Much appreciated.
Lauren xx