Sunday, 5 October 2014

V&A Dress

Hi everybody! Today I've got to share with you my first autumnal make of the season, another self drafted dress! The design has been in my head for ages and ages and ages but I ran out of time to make a summer dress out of it so made one more appropriate for autumn instead. I wore the dress on a school textiles trip to the V&A to see the wedding dress exhibition which was just incredible.
To manipulate my bodice block, I slashed and spread from the top to the bottom of the side seam to add more volume for gathers. I made it up in calico and pinned it to the mannequin. Then I drew a rough shape of what I wanted the waistband to be like, pinned it on, drew on it, and refined the shape until it was how I wanted it. I then marked where the top of the waistband was on the bodice, added a 1.5cm seam allowance and cut off the bottom part of the bodice that wasn't needed anymore. The skirt is just a gathered rectangle.
Then I made it up in the real fabric, which is a cotton that I picked out of the remnant bin at Fabricadabra. I've decided on a specific colour palette for Autumn/Winter in an effect to make my wardrobe more cohesive consisting of black and navy as neutrals and green, red purple and teal.
If I made this style of dress again I would add gathers to the back bodice because it looks a little bare without them. I was just worried about them adding unwanted volume. The dress did end up a bit short due to not enough fabric.

To keep the insides neat I lined the waistband and neatened the neckline and arm holes with bias binding made from the same fabric. The hem was overlocked and folded over twice and there's an invisible zip in one of the side seams.
As I'm slightly more long waisted than the usual and the whereabouts of the waistband was determined on the mannequin the dress is a little higher than my natural waist so next time I would lengthen the bodice a bit.
The architecture of the V&A is just so amazing!
And of course I couldn't resist doing a princessy walk down the fancy staircase...
Thanks so much to Rebecca Hurrey who took such wonderful photos, and thanks for reading!
Lauren xx

12 comments:

  1. Lovely dress! The gathers and rounded waistband are great design features. And how cool to go to the V&A on a school trip - when I was in school we never went anywhere nearly so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay! Cool school trips are a great byproduct of taking textiles and drama!

      Delete
  2. Oh what a fabulous dress! It's so pretty & looks stunning - I do love those pretty gathers & shaped waist! Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely! i have to say, i like the higher waist look on you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I never know quite how to style high waistlines

      Delete
  4. Super cute! The fit is great and the gathers are just the right amount. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so chuffed that the fit is finally right :)

      Delete
  5. I think you've done a great job on this Lauren. The colour makes it a good transitional dress going into the autumn. I really like the gathers and shaped waist band. I think it will be neater without gathers in the back when you layer it up as the weather gets cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marion! I didn't think about layering, and now I'm glad the back doesn't have gathers!

      Delete
  6. This looks so good on you, well done on how you figured out the waist shaping it looks really great. So jealous you got to go to the V&A it's still on my list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The sheer volume of stuff they have at the V&A is incredible

      Delete