Tuesday 1 October 2013

Floral Shift Dress


This dress has been brilliant to wear this summer (or for the hot days we’ve had this summer) as it’s so light  and loose, but still has shape to it. It has been worn many many times and is just generally amazing. And I have no idea why I can’t stand upright like a normal person. Sorry for the creases, it was in my bag all day as I was going over to a friends to take advantage of his fancy camera (again) and it’s made of linen. The neck, armholes, and hem were all slip-stitched in on the ferry to France.


I used the vintage Simplicity 5421 teen pattern which was age 14. At the age 0f 16 my bust is 3 inches smaller than that of a girl aged 14 so this dress required A LOT of alteration in that department. Actually it required a lot of alteration in every department. I took about 3 inches out of the centre front and a fair bit out of the side seams and out of the princess seams as well. I did make a mock up but have mysteriously lost the centre front which is the piece that I altered the most, so I if I make it again I’m going to have to refit it all again. Sigh.

Image found here: http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Simplicity_5421_B
When it was all altered it did fit really well, but was just loose enough to keep cool during the hot weather. I probably should mention that it was originally about 3 inches longer than this so I’m paying my dues for not pre washing it beforehand. The fabric by the way was gifted to me by one of my friends mums with about 3 other bin bags full of fabric! The zipper was originally hand sewn in but it wasn’t strong enough so I lapped it on the machine as well to make it as secure as possible.



That’s all I can think of to say about this dress at the moment so bye for now!
Thanks for reading!
Lauren x