Tuesday, 1 October 2013

The Shrubbery Top

This top is named the shrubbery top for 2 reasons. a) it’s covered in leaves and b) pictures were literally taken in the shrubbery, or the leafy part of our garden anyhow. I’m not sure whether it’s too baggy but I think I like it how it is for now. I’ve decided to do a bit of list of the fabric I used and the techniques and all that lot, so I guess I’ll just jump right in.






Pattern: This is from the may 2013 edition of mums Prima magazine. Unfortunately their patterns start at size 10 and I’m quite a bit smaller than that. It just consists of 2 pattern pieces (a front and a back) which the sleeves are included in. I think this is called a dolman sleeve top?


Alterations: I’m pretty sure that I made a muslin, but I can’t for the life of me figure out where I put it. I think I took in about an inch from the middle of both the front and the back pieces and also an inch or two from the sides.
Fabric: The fabric was leftovers of some leafy cotton that I inherited from my mum. Apparently she made flared trousers out of it… There wasn’t enough for a full length top, which was alright because now I have my first ever crop top!




Techniques: This was the first time that I’ve ever used french seams, and I am so proud of the inside of this garment. There are no raw edges to be seen. I used bias binding for the first time for the neck, sleeves and hem which is also new to me.
The pic to your left gives you a fairly good idea of what it looks like from the inside.






Loads of thanks to Lauren who took the action shots!


No comments:

Post a Comment