Monday, 20 June 2016

Closet Case Files Sophie Swimsuit!

You guysss!! I'm so excited to show you my version of Heather Lou's latest pattern; the Sophie Swimsuit. I chose to test the view B, the bikini version.
First, the fabric. This is the swimsuit fabric I bought with Susan when I visited Sydney a few summers back. It's been waiting for the perfect swimsuit pattern and I knew that it would be perfect for Sophie. The only drawback is that the style lines aren't so obvious. I look forward to playing with them at a later date. For the findings I used a waterproof elastic and bikini clasp from Minerva crafts.
Compared to the last pair of bikini bottoms I made these are like heaven. Finishes at the right point on the waist and the 'leg holes' for want of a better term, are spot on. I forgot that I was wearing them, which is really the ideal goal. There's nothing worse than going swimming and constantly fiddling, pulling something down, tugging something up. I could truly be care free in this. 
And now onto the bikini top. I live in constant despair that my 29" bust isn't big enough for sewing patterns but all of the work Heather has done with different cup sizes means that I actually had a chance of it fitting, and it did! 
I didn't use an underwire. I don't have an underwire in any of my bras, cuz I just don't need one! I did the jumping test in this and it passed with flying colours.
I had a bit of a muddle getting the right cup pieces in the right place at the right time, the right way out. But I got there in the end.
Oh, and it's also fully lined which felt very luxurious. 
Argh I'm so so happy with how it turned out! I was a bit concerned about how a bikini top and high waisted bottoms would work on my because my torso is a bit of a tree trunk, but I like it. I think next time I'd like to use view A for the whole suit and then cut it at the waist to make a tankini. I also want to make a bra!
Thanks for reading and to Heather for letting me test her pattern, Zoe for taking photos and providing mini paddling pool and props and to MK for being Left Water Pourer and Millie for being Right Water Pourer. Much obliged.
Lauren xx




27 comments:

  1. What a great suit - Love the fabric you used, great photo shoot styling and props too (that is one very mini paddling pool!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you very much! Believe it or not, my friends just had it lying around!

      Delete
  2. You strike a definite 1950s vibe...the bright lippy set the stamp on that :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's exactly what I was going for!

      Delete
  3. What a great swimsuit - you look super cute in it! Love your photo shoot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay! It was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  4. It's super cute !!! I hope you enjoy it all summer !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll need the weather to brighten up a bit first!

      Delete
  5. Adorable! I love the photo shoot! Beautiful swimsuit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so fabulous on you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm probably the most excited reader to see that this suit worked for you! As another less than endowed person (30AA bra size here) I saw this pattern on Instagram and thought that nice as it is it would be completely wrong for me. I've tried on cupped swimsuits before and they always had that giant gap of inappropriate flashing so never thought I'd wear one. But this looks so good on you, and I think we have close to identical body shapes that I might just have to buy the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so so glad! Swimsuits with cups have never worked for me before either so I'm so thankful for this pattern.

      Delete
  8. Oh, it's so pretty! And I love your pictures! They really put a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I'm glad! We had a lot of fun shooting them.

      Delete
  9. You know how much I love this!! You're the cutest. And thank you again for the amazing "Blow up pool toy" photoshoot idea ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a cute swimsuit, it looks amazing on you. And the photo shoot is great

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren this suit is amazing! I really want a better structured top in my bikini (though I am small busted) and this pattern might just fit the bill. I actually overlooked this pattern because it appeared to be geared to the bigger busted, but I'm so excited it comes in various cup sizes! Yeeha! And you look stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The breadth of cup sizes available is just amazing.

      Delete
  12. You look fabulous in it ! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply fabulous and you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have little hope that you will answer me since the post is like 4 months old but... did you use foam in your cups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't, simply because I just didn't have it in my stash. It probably would have given me a better, more defined shape but as you can see it worked out alright without it.

      Delete