Sunday, 22 February 2015

Quilted Lady Skater

This week I finally had a chance to sew up my birthday fabric from the lovely Beth into yet another Lady Skater dress.
The fabric is a quilted knit from Minerva Crafts in a lovely wine/burgundy colour which I'm really loving at the moment. Because of the various layers in the fabric, it did fray so all the seams were overlocked. I could just about get the whole dress out of the metre which is pretty economical.
The dress was originally a top and a skirt because I thought a quilted crop top would work really well over my dresses, but I didn't take the neckline into consideration when I cut out the pieces. The lady skater neckline is below most of my dresses, and it didn't look right when I wore it over them so I just joined the top and skirt together to make the original dress.
It does look however, a little too long in the back. When cutting out what I thought was going to be a top, I lengthened the bodice which seems okay in the front, but there is a  bit of excess in the back. Nothing that a bit of pulling down won't solve, I'm sure!
Overall, it's a really cozy dress and I'm going to get as much wear out of it as I can until it gets too warm! I'm curious to know whether you wear different colours according to the seasons? Is burgundy a colour suitable only for Autumn/Winter because it's a dark shade? Please let me know your thoughts!
Thanks very much to Ed for taking photos and to Beth for the fabric and to you for reading!
Lauren xx


12 comments:

  1. Perfect skater dress, Lauren!! And you look fabulous from tip to toe, that is, from the beautiful hairstyle, to the classy boots! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fab, Lauren! It makes you look so grown up yet sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes it's hard to get the right balance!

      Delete
  3. This looks so warm! My colours do change according to season. I wear more pastels in the warmer months, and mostly teal and purple in the winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I need to have more teal in my life.

      Delete
  4. That fabric is gorgeous! I can see how it would be perfect for a cropped sweater, maybe you can get some more for that? I looks lovely as a dress, too - the colour really suits you! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool fabric, I'm finding myself quite drawn to quilted knits, but I haven't decided what to make myself yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to find another quilted knit and make a sweatshirt!

      Delete
  6. Looks fab! I love the colour, it's such a beautiful deep wine. I usually wear deeper colours in winter and rarely wear them in summer. Although sometimes I do cross them over. When I come to think of it I don't really do it consciously, I guess you just naturally gravitate towards those types of things without thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I think darker colours in winter and lighter colours in summer makes sense.

      Delete