Saturday, 28 February 2015

My second blogaversary!

I can't believe that I've just finished my second year of sewing and blogging! I guess that doesn't make me a beginner any more. This year I managed to make a total of 48 pieces of clothing compared to 37 items made last year which is pretty good going! I'm proud of how I've been able to consistently post for 2 years, given my track record with diaries (where entry's are usually made every couple of years when I find them when spring cleaning.) 
 This year was obviously the year of the dresses, which isn't surprising when I've finally managed to draft a bodice block that fits the way it should. I've had great fun with lots of pattern adaptation, and in this coming year I'd like to draft more complicated projects, like outerwear and maybe swimwear. I would like to master a proper long sleeved shirts with cuffs and everything. I'd also like to look at tailoring techniques like welt pockets. 
. This last year has been very much a winner for wearability, compared to the 57% of wearable items I made in my first year of sewing. I think even when projects haven't turned out quite right, this year I kept going until they were wearable, which was a good habit to have, and obviously paid off.
 My most popular post this year was very unexpectedly my Holiday Capsule Wardrobe Planning post on how I was organizing my suitcase for the 3 week trip to Australia. I did have great fun drawing all the little outfits on photoshop. Maybe I should do more posts like these? The second most popular post was my Strapless Maxi dress which I made for the sewalong on Project Sewn. I'm seriously missing it this year.
I did make my first pair of jeans, although arguably they aren't proper jeans because they didn't have a fly front. They aren't particularly comfortable which I'm blaming the lack of stretch on so I'm going to attempt some ginger jeans in the near future.
I've done pretty well for suits this year, which is good considering that I have to wear them 5 days a week. My Victoria blazer with a navy Chardon is getting loads of wear, because I do practical subjects I need to be able to sit cross legged on the floor, which I cant do very well in a pencil skirt!
The standard of the inside of my garments is steadily improving which is great. Very few of my makes have unfinished edges thanks to my overlocker. There had better be room for it at uni!
Anyhow, here's to my third year of sewing! Cheers to everybody who reads about my adventures in sewing. Very little can beat the feeling I get when a new comment appears in my inbox ;)
Lauren xx

12 comments:

  1. Happy blogiversary! You have made astounding progress in your sewing in just two short years! I can't wait to see how you grow in the coming years!

    I have so many things pending to blog myself, but one of them is all about welts. I will try to move it up my list a little because it seems everyone wants to work on welts at the moment. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see your post on welts.

      Delete
  2. Congrats Lauren! I always enjoy reading your blog and am so impressed by your drafting and creativity. Hopefully you'll have room for all your machines at the university. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations on completing a full two years! i can totally relate to the excitement of getting a blog comment notification :) as a halls student i can also vouch that there will be room for an overlocker if you're tidy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! Phew! I feel that I'm going to have to whittle down my fabric stash before I go :(

      Delete
  4. Congrats! It's always so satisfying to look back on the past year and see how far you've come! I can't wait to see what you'll do next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay! This year's going to be a pretty exciting year.

      Delete
  5. You made 48 things this year? That's amazing! Good for you. I just discovered your blog and all of your garments are adorable. Now you have to make clothes for going out to the bars while you're in college...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a pity I'm not really a bar person! I do have prom to make a pretty dress for though ;)

      Delete
  6. Congratulation! I find blogs like yours a total inspiration as I'm such a slow sewist! 48 items is amazing and two years! Cant wait to see what you make in the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'm going to have to slow down a bit because exams are fast approaching!

      Delete