Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Stripey knit dress

Hello all! I liked my knit dress from a couple of weeks ago so much that I decided to make another, with a few modifications.
I'm quite particular about striped fabric and for me the perfect stripe is the thinner white stripe widely spaced on a navy background. I've been looking for this kind of stripe for a while and was so excited to find it at Guthrie and Ghani during the Birmingham meet up. It's also available online here.
I was expecting it be a fairly quick make because I'd already blended together the 3 patterns to make my last knit dress. (Zeena sleeves, RTW top and pencil skirt pattern) but I forgot how long stripe matching takes! 
Sewing the stripes was a little hard because the stripes of the fabric are raised, and you have to allow for that when pinning. I found that by pinning them a little out of sync they would match up as they went through the sewing machine. Other than the stripe matching it was a really quick sew as there was only 2 side seams, the neckband and turning up the edges of the hem and the sleeves. 
I really love the simplicity of this dress. It can be paired with so many things! The knit fabric makes it really comfortable to wear which is ultimately what I look for in all of my clothes. If I find some more knit fabric, there will be another in my future!
Thanks for reading and to Edward for taking pics!
Lauren xx

7 comments:

  1. I love it! Can I ask - did you make this using an overlocker or an ordinary machine? It looks great, very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As I made it at uni I made it with an ordinary machine because my overlocker is at home. I set it to zigzag on my normal straight stitch length and width and it was fine.

      Delete
  2. Cool and casual with a cap - love this dress, Lauren! You look great, and you can certainly afford to wear horizontal stripes. Not so many girls can...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress and the stripes suit you perfectly! Looks very Parisian chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for.

      Delete
  4. Wow! It looks like you have just arrived from Paris:)! Fantastic dress and hat!

    ReplyDelete