Sunday, 5 February 2017

Metallic circle skirt

Hello all! My lovely friend MK gifted me this silver fabric for my birthday last month. It took a bit of umming and arring to decided what I wanted to do with it because it's very delicate. If stretched it ladders instantly.
I decided to go for a gathered circle skirt, which is a fairly simple make, and doesn't require any stretch. I used the circle skirt calculator from By Hand London to see what the biggest radius I could get was, while maintaining the length. Ideally, it would be a bit fuller at the waist and a tad longer but I'm quite happy with the gathers I did get.
The fabric was stabilised at the waistband with waistband interfacing and I put in an invisible zip in right to the top of the waistband. A light grey zip would have ideally been better than the black but it's what I had 'in stock'. After the zip was installed the skirt was somehow too big, so I pinched the room equally out of each side, sewing down the width of the waistband.
Then all that was left to do was the hemming! When I cut out the circle skirt the fabric was a nightmare, I couldn't get 2 layers to sit flat on top of one another at all. In the end I ended up cutting out just the circle for the waist and a centre back seam, then trimming the hem on a single layer after it was left to hang for a few days.
The fabric is very thin, and very static. You can see below the hem of my top forming a ridge. Perhaps a half slip would sort this out, or pairing it with a bodysuit would work fabulously.
The original plan was to add a bodice to the skirt, but everything I draped was just silver overload so I left it as it was. I wanted to wear it out on Friday night but everything I tried on with it just looked wrong! I do quite like it paired with this black polo-neck though for a more casual look. I'm intrigued to see how well the skirt would pair with a sheer white button-down shirt, but I don't own one of those at present so will have to keep a look out for the right fabric. All in all, it's very snazzy and I love it.
 Thanks very much for reading and to Rachel for taking the photos!
Lauren xx




5 comments:

  1. Lovely ! You just have the most unique and snazzy makes !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great skirt, Lauren! I love it paired with that black top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blingy shiny skirt, it looks great with your jumper. I'm always worried about fabrics like this (anything that looks hard, chiffon/too silky) I must just get on and try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fantastic on you Lauren, you're on a roll of making some fab things that look wonderful on you at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know they are not hugely fashionable anymore but a body top would do away with the ridge and having to tuck your top in all the time. You may wince at this but tucking your top into your knickers--works best with big pants-- with help as well. Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete