Sunday, 20 March 2016

Floral Pinafore Dress

Hello all! Today I have a new dress to show you. This dress was inspired by a picture of 1940s overalls. Unlike our dungarees today, the top half was fitted as opposed to a rectangle. I much prefer this look so this was how this dress came about.
I used my bodice block with the neckline squared off, paired with an A-line skirt. I could have probably lowered the neckline more, but I wanted to be able to wear it without a top underneath. The straps are just rectangles.
The fabric is a floral needlecord that I picked up when staying with Grandpa in Winchester before Christmas. It was really straight forward to work with as long as I made sure to cut all the pieces facing the same way. I still have 1/2 metre left from the 2 metres that I bought which I'll make into a button down skirt at some point.
Raw edges were overlocked and the neckline and hem both have a facing. I purposefully made sure that the wrong side of the fabric was visible for the hem facing so the skirt would move freely without the needlecord creating friction. I used an invisible zip for the CB.
I'm really happy with how this dress turned out, and it has gotten a lot of wear over the last couple of months.
Thanks for reading and to Ed for taking the pictures while I've been home this weekend,
Lauren xx

2 comments:

  1. You got a haircut...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pinafore dress is so cute and the needlecord is pretty! I am a fan of pinafore dresses, having made several.

    ReplyDelete