Sunday, 6 September 2015

Autumn/ Winter capsule wardrobe planning 2015

In the last few weeks I've had to decide which clothes I want to take to uni and I thought making an Autumn/Winter capsule wardrobe would be a good idea. I decided on a red, green, purple, navy and black for a colour scheme. Below you can see quick sketches of what I've decided to take. The highlighted items are yet to be made. The list has changed pretty dramatically with items being added and taken away. Since I took this photo 2 items have been crossed off. At the moment the capsule consists of 29 pieces, but that could be subject to change. 
Instead of showing you all of the items of clothing I already own, I thought I'd focus on things on the list that are yet to be made. All of the fabric was acquired at a fabulous Goldhawk Road shopping trip with Claire. All of the modeled photos used are pinned on my wardrobe architect pinterest board.  Apologies for my rough sketches. I clearly need to invest in a Fashionary.
 First up, are some dotty Ginger jeans. I've not been so happy with my flares, as the denim I used for those is pretty stiff and cardboard like with little stretch. This dotty denim is stretchier so all should be good. I'd like to make the high-waisted skinny jean version this time around.

 I wear my 2 pairs of Turia dungarees all the time, and I think some burgundy corduroy dungarees are going to be so cosy!
I'd like to use the Zeena dress pattern as a base for a pleated skirt, with some horizontal pin tucks near the hem for some interest.
I've had this grey wool in the stash for years and I haven't known what to make from 1 metre of it. It's been simmering in my brain and I think it would make a great pair of winter shorts to wear over thick black tights.
Lastly, an Anderson blouse in some green polycrepe. I'm really intrigued to see how this one turns out.
Hopefully I'll have some spare time at uni to make these a reality!
Thanks for reading,
Lauren xx


16 comments:

  1. Love the spotty denim!! and I'm really curious to see how the Anderson blouse turns out too. I couldn't resist it when it come out but I already think I'm gonna shorten in and leave the string at the bottom out. From your sketch you're thinking of doing the same thing?
    Enjoy uni you're gonna have a fantastic time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I think I'm going to leave out the ribbon. I'll wear it tucked in most of the time anyway.

      Delete
  2. With all the deep, intense colors in your palette, your classmates and professors at college will know you mean business! (that's a good thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! You're going to be without a school uniform now, right? What a fun time to experiment with style!

    I also did some fall wardrobe planning, and this year have tried to think more carefully about what items I'll actually need and use for fall. Most of my fabric has been ordered, and now I just need to let myself have a few days to sew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so weird to be without a uniform of some kind! It's been good to think about colours and what will co-ordinate to make sure that everything will get a lot of wear.

      Delete
  4. Nice choices. Also, I spy the lefty smudge in your first photo! I'm really picky about my pens to try and avoid having that messiness happen, but I still get smudges every so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha drawing those pictures was a disaster!

      Delete
  5. It looks like you've put together a well thought out and effective capsule wardrobe, with some really lovely pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see them take form.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely collection of pretty and practical makes. I love a good pair of winter shorts - so stylish when paired with tights, boots and a big hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very excited to sew them all up.

      Delete
  7. Hi Lauren, I've been following you for a while now and I'm so excited for you starting the course! I wish I had such passion at your age but I did a boring degree and only now am realising that I should have invested more in my creative side! Anyway I had to comment today because you absolutely must buy a fashionary, I finally got one last week and it's a total joy to use! Best of luck with the course, I'm eager to see what lovely new things you'll be making! Jodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodie, I will add a fashionary to my Christmas list at once! Then it can assist with spring/summer sewing plans.

      Delete
  8. I actually had to look up what a fashionary is :) and I love the idea to put all your ideas and sketches into a little book so that you can always have it with you. Especially nice if you see an outfit you like whilst e.g. commuting. I'm looking forward to see how your dungarees will turn out - I'm sure amazing. I'm still a bit scared of corduroy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished my dungarees last week and I'm really pleased with them! They should be on the blog in the next couple of weeks. Corduroy is okay if you cut it all the same way and press it with a towel so the pile is not crushed.

      Delete