Sunday, 10 May 2015

Tie-dye Culottes

Hello All! Please permit me to present to you my take on culottes! I've been seeing a lot of them around the fashion scene lately, and even though I am definitely anti-fashion when a new trend comes along that I like the look of, I'll give it a go. And if I like it, then I'll wear it forever until I tire of it, not when the fashion industry tires of it.
 I dug out Simplicity 7463 from my stash and decided to make view 3 (the pink ones), lengthening them to the shin. It turned out that I didn't have enough fabric to do that, so settled for having them just above the knee instead.
It turned out that when the hem was just above the knee I was totally indifferent about them, so I shortened them a bit and hey presto I love them! I might have been a tad enthusiastic with the shears but they cover everything decently, so it\s fine!
I inherited the fabric from my grandma, and I think she may have tie-died it herself to create the awesome print. I'd love to know how she did it.
As the pattern was a size 12, and I'm a 6/8 so I took it in at the waist and hips a bit, but the rest seamed to be okay. I'm really happy with the finishing of these culottes. Every seam is overlocked, and I used facings for the waist and hems. I'm also really proud of the lapped zipper that I inserted by machine at the center back. I've never had a successful one so I tend to use invisible zips or handpick them but I'm so pleased with how this one turned out!
And this is me proving that they are culottes. The hem was a nightmare to even out due to the box pleat at the front, especially as my mannequin can only have dresses or skirts put on her. In the end I put them on me, and measured from the waistline as far around as I could reach. It seemed to work out okay. It's a pity that I have already had my last P.E lesson because I would have loved to wear these for tennis. 
Thanks very much for reading and to Ed for taking a break from revision to snap some pictures!
Lauren xx

4 comments:

  1. Very cute! I only like culottes when they look like a skirt - these are definitely that kind!

    It's amazing what a difference a change of hem length can make in whether something is "meh" or "cool!" isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the tie-dye look. These are cute and you're right they'd be great for tennis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to have to book some games in for after exams!

      Delete